Building Info & Pictures
One of the oldest Children's Museum's in the country, founded in 1963, the only Children's Museum in the country to have been adopted by both NASA & Dept. of Energy's Office of Science, in 2007 our building was declared a NYS & Federal historic building!
Located in the historic Bagg's Square area at the corner of Main and Railroad streets, the five story brick building was constructed in 1893 as the headquarters for the John C. Hieber Dry Goods Company. One of the best known wholesale dry goods houses in the central and northern New York, "it once drew visitors who came on the train from as far away as Albany and Syracuse to shop for dry goods".
The interesting Romanesque Revival exterior remains as imposing as ever, and the charm of the period remains inside with its decoratively paneled central oak staircase, an original glass and wood paneled office, and fourteen foot high ceiling sheathed in fancy pressed tin.
For years, three of the five floors, each floor approximately 6,000 square feet, were used for exhibit and program areas. Today, four of the five floors are open, containing thousands of hands-on exhibits.
The Children’s Museum, 311 Main Street, Utica, NY 13501 * Web: www.museum4kids.net